Thursday, April 26, 2012

Femme Power? Supremacists are Dumb

I consider myself a feminist, never a female supremacist, but I think women still have a way to go.  Many years ago my actor/model/writer/useless boyfriend would pontificate about inane drivel, like what era would I like to live in the past.  He thought turn-of-the-century America would be great because he could work with his hands, like a man.  I said none. Nothing. The future please.  The turn-of-the-century woman had no rights outside of her husband.  Heck, if you watch Mad Men you realize women are only a few decades away from being considered chattel.
Mad Men? Christina Hendricks.  Red hair, gender roles and boobs, that's my favorite grouping of topics.

When asked my opinion about female supremacy, I would quip, "It's not my gender that makes me superior."  It was a joke, but there are a lot of dumb women out there, namely ones that actually believe their hype and in female supremacy.  They exist.



I had a woman visiting NYC who rented from me.  She was stunning. Drop-dead gorgeous.  I had a friend, who fancied himself quite the ladies man, who wanted me to invite her out for a double date type scenario.  Sure, why not.  I grabbed Actor/Model/Writer/Useless, the visiting domme and met him in a nice restaurant in the West Village.

What that meant was sitting for 2 hours next to this woman and listening to her drone on about her Women's Studies degree and how women were actually superior.  I wanted to say, "Hey we're not on right now. You don't have to work."  This was real, though.  She was educating us. Educating us good.

The punchline of this story I would here the next day.  After I took my leave with my boyfriend, my friend had to hear all about how horrible it was that I paid for my date's dinner.  How he was out with a beautiful women and he should have to pay for everything.  Apparently, my superiority as a woman only extended so far as to stop before paying the bill.

I get it. I get the hype of female supremacy.  It's sexy--in context.  In practice it's just silly.
See I can do this because it's "empowering" woe unto any woman who can pay the bill, though.

5 comments:

  1. Hi M:

    I really enjoyed reading this. I am in complete agreement with you. I believe that all human beings are fundamentally equal. I happen to be wired in a way that I enjoy being submissive to a beautiful woman. But at the end of day I realize that it is all fantasy; a form of role play. One thing that's not a fantasy though; there are still men in positions of power who would like to see women reduced to being chattel again. There are forces in this country who are actively working to turn back the clock to a time before the Mad Men era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on all points. The fantasy is quite sexy, but should be left in role play.

    And yes, what is up with American politics these days? There are so many anti-women policies coming up that I am startled that they are even considered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The conservative good old boys want to go back to the days of the robber barons when the wealthy few lorded over the huddled masses with impunity. In trying to achieve this goal they are cynically exploiting people who believe every word of the Bible (an ancient book full of myths and allegories) is literally true. From this unholy alliance between avowed corporatism and evangelical fervor comes a tide that will push America back hundreds of years. How is the real estate market in Barcelona? I just might be joining you there! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The saddest thing about so-called female supremacy is how naked the admission of inferiority complex really is. Like any form of egotism, people only overassert themselves when they know deep down, and often not very far deep down at that, that they're jiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whole female supremacy as a fantasy is seriously hot, but in real life it's actually insulting, I mean please, I'd like to get respect for my brain and not for my vagina. I'm sure my vagina is pretty awesome (at least I like it) but I can't recall that I ever did much thinking with it!

    ReplyDelete